Talking to your spouse about the divorce: Top tips
No one gets married, assuming they will file for divorce at some point. Unfortunately, divorces are not rare in Alabama, with more than 40,000 couples filing for separation each year. Getting a divorce may sometimes be the most sensible decision for the circumstances. Before you take significant steps, you would need to speak to one of the top divorce lawyers in Birmingham, AL, to understand the legal process. If you don’t want to end the marriage on a bitter note, you need to talk to your spouse and convince them to get an uncontested divorce. Getting an uncontested divorce is the cheapest and easiest way to terminate the union, and we have a few tips below that will help you initiate the conversation.
- Reconsider everything again. Your divorce is not a matter that should be driven by ego or sudden rage. It is best to reconsider ways to resolve conflict issues with your spouse so that you can save the marriage.
- Find the right place and time. Talking about divorce won’t be easy, and you need to find a place where you can discuss the matter without distractions. Keep your children out of the room, and don’t let anyone interrupt as you talk. Unless you are worried about your safety, choose a private space.
- Plan your conversation. Instead of merely talking about the divorce, consider telling them about your emotions and dissatisfaction. Expressing your feelings may not be the easiest thing, but you must be careful not to hurt the other person. Do not give them false hope or make promises you cannot keep.
- Refrain from arguing. The news of getting a divorce may come as a shock to your spouse, who may act agitated or furious. Do not engage in arguments, and let them know that the marriage has not worked for you. You can expect the other person to feel sorry or start a blame game but retain your calm.
- Tell them you want an uncontested divorce. If you have already talked to your lawyer, they may have advised you on an uncontested divorce, which can be finalized online in Alabama. Let your spouse know that you want to end things amicably and would prefer them to cooperate.
If your spouse agrees to the uncontested divorce, you can file a joint petition and finalize the divorce within weeks. Let an attorney take care of the legal process.